Friday, November 5, 2010

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do." ~ Edward Everett Hale

I have always dreamed of being selected for this program. For me, I could not think of a better way to spend my spring break than serving others and making a difference. Being selected for the MAT Service Learning Program to Nicaragua is one-in-a-lifetime chance to not only help others, but for me to grow as a person. Through this program, I will gain a different perspective of the world by working with diverse groups of educators, the local Nicaraguan community and from my teammates who share common goals. Additionally, I will have the chance to participate in a leadership role and promote awareness in the Quinnipiac community.

By going to Nicaragua, I will have the chance to learn from professional teachers who deal with limited resources and supplies every day. I will better understand how they overcome this type of adversity and how to make the best with what one has. The Nicaraguan teachers do not let their challenges get the best of them and never give up on their students. The teachers attending the conference in March are far more experienced than me in the classroom and therefore have a lot of knowledge to impart on me. To me, they are role models because they are participating in the conference to continue their life-long learning and create better classroom environments for their students. Their passion and dedication is evident. I want to meet them and hear their stories and experiences in teaching firsthand. I want to learn about their point of views. I am looking forward to learning about their set of values.


At the conference, I will have the opportunity to share my knowledge and experiences I have been fortunate enough to gain as a Teacher Candidate in the MAT program with Nicaraguan teachers. Sharing information encourages using new techniques and strategies to develop a responsive & engaging classroom. The Nicaraguan teachers have limit access to resources to improve their abilities and therefore come willing to learn as much as possible. They also want to become mastery level professionals in their craft. Through our assistance, I believe we will help them step closer to that goal.


No comments: